The active genetic material of chimpanzees is 99% identical to that of humans. I have met people who were less than 99% human.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

No Freedom for Sidewalk Simian on Independence Day

Yesterday, on Malaysia's Independence Day, I took these pictures of a long-tailed macaque chained on a sidewalk in Bangsar Baru. His keepers, who run a food stall, said they had found him as a baby. He is kept on a harness and leash and has the shelter of a garden umbrella, which he needed during the downpour today.
Captive monkey next to street
He is overweight, so clearly he is fed more than enough. Of course, being tied up all day, he cannot take much exercise, either. He spends most of his life next to a busy street, breathing fumes and going nowhere, with no monkey companions.
I saw no active abuse, although the man told me he sometimes beats the monkey with a stick. "When he's naughty." He showed me bite scars on his legs which he said the monkey had inflicted.
Keeper feeding monkey
I doubt there is anything actionable here under Malaysian law. In addition, if he were confiscated, he would probably be put down, since he is a male. I offered to buy him, but the couple refused -- just, I suppose, as I would refuse an offer on any of my dogs. It was clear that, in their minds, he was a pet and a well-kept one, to boot.
Captive long-tailed macaque in rain
It is hard to know what to do for the best in a case like this. I do know that he is not living the life he deserves to live, as a wild animal. Monkeys, like great apes and humans (and many other animals), need the company of their own kind to thrive. Without it, they suffer, just as you or I would.

This monkey, although he appeared free of obvious injuries, indulged in bouts of repetitive movement typical of a captive wild animal, just like a tiger pacing in a cage. Such behavior expresses the animal's frustration, boredom and hopelessness. He is a prisoner, without family, friends or freedom. This may be legal, but it isn't humane or compassionate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter

Baby long-tailed macaque in Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Save a Primate!
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]


© 2001-2004 WebRing Inc. - Help - Browse WebRing

The Great Ape WebRing
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]