The active genetic material of chimpanzees is 99% identical to that of humans. I have met people who were less than 99% human.

Friday, September 09, 2005

Update on Scout, the Rescued Polo Pony

I stopped by the Royal Selangor Polo Club yesterday to check on Scout, the abandoned polo pony I rehabilitated. (For her story, see my previous post, Scout the Abandoned Polo Pony) The retired Army officer who takes care of her now still uses her for light pleasure riding.


I was happy to see that she looked good and seemed to be well-taken care of. Her coat was clean and glossy. She still had much of the weight and muscle we had worked so hard to rebuild. She had a bucket of fresh water and a big bucket for food. Her bedding was clean and fresh (I have seen horses at the Club standing in six inches of urine-soaked shavings and manure.) She was wearing the old fly-mask I had bought her, which was a pleasant surprise. Fly-masks, like other small items, tend to disappear at a rapid rate at the Club, 'borrowed' or perhaps sold on by the grooms.

Her attitude was good, too. Four years ago, when I first met her, she would 'greet' visitors to her stall by putting her head in a corner and showing them her rump. Yesterday, although she was standoffish with me (as usual, since I stopped seeing her regularly) she gave me her profile the whole time, after taking a few sniffs of my hands. Her confidence was high and she seemed quite relaxed.

Nest time, I'm taking carrots and I'm going to reestablish our friendship. I miss my "Golden Girl"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter

Baby long-tailed macaque in Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Save a Primate!
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]


© 2001-2004 WebRing Inc. - Help - Browse WebRing

The Great Ape WebRing
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]