The active genetic material of chimpanzees is 99% identical to that of humans. I have met people who were less than 99% human.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Cool for Cats: An Amazing Photograph!


This gorgeous picture of a male lion giving some cubs a good soaking comes from National Geographic Magazine. It was taken in Kenya's Masai Mara reserve. To see a larger version, click on the photo or visit the website.

The September issue of NGM is devoted to Africa. In addition to extraordinary animal photographs, there are excellent articles including Oil Boon, Living with Aids and Who Rules the Forest?. I think my favorite piece is Return to Zambia, in which African writer Alexandra Fuller contemplates "the relationship between people and wildlife," with stunning B+W photographs by Lynn Johnson.

On-line, they have the fabulous WildCam Africa. You can see live footage from a watering hole in Botswana. The other day, I spent hours glued to my computer screen, enthralled by the sight of a herd of elephants. My connection is very low-speed, so it was more like a series of snapshots than a video, but I could hear them and I knew I was seeing live pictures, so it was thrilling.

2 Comments:

Blogger mob1900 said...

The Wildcam's pretty cool. Hope they will do the same here at bintang walk so we can glimpse those sexy 'wild cats' during lunch hours! lolx... grrrrrr

5:16 PM  
Blogger bibliobibuli said...

Another reason to spend long hours online!

I love the shower photo - clever lion.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter

Baby long-tailed macaque in Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Save a Primate!
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]


© 2001-2004 WebRing Inc. - Help - Browse WebRing

The Great Ape WebRing
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]