The active genetic material of chimpanzees is 99% identical to that of humans. I have met people who were less than 99% human.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

World Animal Day...But Not in Malaysia?

World Animal Day, which was started by a group of ecologists in Florence, Italy, in 1931, takes place on Oct. 4 every year. According the UK site, the goals of World Animal Day are:

  • To celebrate animal life in all its forms
  • To celebrate humankind’s relationship with the animal kingdom
  • To acknowledge the diverse roles that animals play in our lives – from providing food, through being our companions, to supporting and helping us, to bringing a sense of wonder into our lives
  • To acknowledge and be thankful for the way in which animals enrich our lives

Sounds good to me! I asked some likely people in the animal world here (SPCA, National Zoo) if they were going to hold any events in conjunction with World Animal Day, and was told that they were not. The reason? It isn't well-known here. Is this really a case of the chicken or the egg? I don't think so; I think you have to publicize something like this first, and then people will know about it. I am pushing to get an animal-welfare related article of my own into The Star on Tuesday; I don't know if it will make it or not.


My cat Dickens came from the Singapore SPCA

Meanwhile, the SPCA in Singapore is going to hold a three-day event to promote pet adoption, kindness to animals and the SPCA's activities. Good for them! Let's hope that next year, we'll have our own animal-awareness-raising events here in Malaysia. Education is the only long-term method for changing the way we treat the animals around us, but it takes time. The sooner we start, the sooner we will see results.

6 Comments:

Blogger __mars said...

maybe you should organized a small event yourself? I would be fun!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Interesting idea! I never thought of it. Don't think I can pull anything together for this year, but I will keep it in mind not just for World Animal Day next year, but for other events such as Earth Day and Homeless Animal Day. Thanks!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Reta said...

i think Paws are looking for volunteers to help out this oct 1st and 2nd at Mines to sell stuff to raise funds..

4:55 PM  
Blogger __mars said...

I used to celebrate the day with friends (greenie geeks) when I was in Michigan. I don't know if ppl in Malaysia celebrate it but if they don't, I would love to help out with the event!

12:11 PM  
Blogger bibliobibuli said...

It should happen!

BTW love the pic of Dickens, v. handsome

9:31 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Thanks! It's hard to get good pix of my cats. Eventually, I will post pix of all my animals.

I hope lots and lots of dogs got adopted this weekend. But I worry a little about people adopting on impulse...I guess I will always find something to worry about when it comes to animals!

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter

Baby long-tailed macaque in Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Save a Primate!
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]


© 2001-2004 WebRing Inc. - Help - Browse WebRing

The Great Ape WebRing
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]