The active genetic material of chimpanzees is 99% identical to that of humans. I have met people who were less than 99% human.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Please Help Captive Monkeys

Captive monkey
This captive monkey has it better than many, with a long chain and access to the lower limbs of some trees, but he is still a prisoner with no freedom of movement, no hope of parole and no monkey companions. We condemn monkeys to life in prison for no crime except being weaker than us.

If you see a monkey being kept as a captive -- especially under bad circumstances (i.e., no shelter, no water available, no companions, signs of physical abuse) -- please report it to the authorities.

Call: Sabrina Yeap, Animal Inspector, SPCA at 03-4256-5312. Be sure to ask for Sabrina and let the staff know you want to report an abuse case; the first time I called, I didn't know to ask for Sabrina and the person who answered the phone told me the SPCA only deals with dog and cat abuse cases -- not true! Sabrina is compiling as much evidence as she can to take to Perhilitan in order to make the case for better treatment of monkeys.

Call: Department of Wildlife and National Parks (Perhilitan) at 03-9075-2872. Be sure you speak to the Law & Enforcement Division; don't let them shunt you to the Complaints Division, which handles public complaints about animal nuisances. Their mission is only to make sure a monkey or other animal is not being a pest to people. They won't care if a monkey is being kept chained or caged.

In fact, Perhilitan is not against the keeping of captive monkeys, but they require that the keeper have a license (few do) and they are supposed to ensure the monkeys are kept under humane conditions. No-one at Perhilitan has been able to define for me what their standards for humane conditions are, but I know that they will confiscate monkeys in certain cases.

As development encroaches further and further into the monkeys' forest habitat, more people are going to have a chance to catch monkeys. The abuse is only going to increase unless we persuade the government and the public to change their attitude.

Public pressure -- an outcry against the inhumanity of keeping monkeys as captives -- is the only thing that will convince the government and its agency, Perhilitan, to change the way they perceive the issue. Please help the monkeys by reporting every captive you see to the SPCA and Perhilitan.

We need to make it loud and clear: Monkeys are not criminals; they are not pets; they are not "advertising" for your food stall or other business. They are wild animals with the right to live their life in the wild.



Categories:

10 Comments:

Blogger boo_licious said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:25 PM  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Sorry, I removed my earlier post as I was a bit confused about the captive monkeys.

The only captive monkey I have seen is in front of TMC, Bangsar. It looks like a pet and well cared. The stall owner is there during the weekends I think.

6:32 PM  
Blogger bibliobibuli said...

Well done for letting us know the correct route for complaints.

I am now coping fine with my ganster monkey. I pay it protection bananas in the mrning and in return it stops unscrewing all the lightfittings around the house.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

BiblioB, I'm glad you've found a way to co-exist with "Al Capone." I never thought of paying protection to a primate! I love it!

Boo, I know the monkey you mean. He has been reported many times to the SPCA and will feature in their report to Perhilitan. It's clear the keepers care about him -- I have watched the wife hold and groom him -- but he is still a prisoner, chained up all day by the roadside, breathing fumes and frustrated by lack of activity and monkey companionship. He has bitten the husband quite a few times, and could be dangerous to others.

Once a monkey has lived as a captive, it is hard to know what to do to. I would like to see Perhilitan work with the SPCA to educate keepers about how to do better for the monkeys.

Ultimately, I think monkeys shouldn't be pets. They are wild animals, fierce and strong-willed. After they reach a certain age, people almost always resort to violence to control them or simply keep them in a small cage forever.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yup - very grateful for the proper channels for complaints. Have saved the numbers on my phone.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good blog. I applaud your effort. You might want to link up to the TRAFFIC office in KL. They're right across from WWF at Taman SEA and they monitor illegal wildlife trade.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Marita. I am a big fan of TRAFFIC. Chris Shepherd gave me some help with the slow loris story I wrote for The Star (posted on my blog as Victims of Humans.) I also have a link to their site on my blog. They need everybody's support!

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All thanks to Dr peter, I am here to share a good testimony of my self on how i came in contact with a real herbalist who helped me. i appreciate everyone for taken their precious time to read my testimony, 6 months ago i was diagnosed of HERPES, this means that 6 months ago i was HERPES positive when i told one of my good friend about this, she sympathized with me and then she said that she was going to help me out, she told me that we should do some research on the Internet, we came across Dr peter and my friend said that she has come across a lot about him and said that he is a real herbalist remedy to all illness, i was really surprised on this and confused as well, I was so speechless and quickly i contact him to help me and he prepared some herbs for me and send it across to me and he told me the way i was going to be taken the medicine which i did, and in the next 2 weeks i went to the hospital and they said that i am now HERPES negative, i am very happy about this, when i contacted Dr peter again to tell him the good result , i asked him how he was able to help me, and he said that he was gifted with it that he can cure any disease. also reach him to because health is better than wealth Email him via: peterherpescurehome@gmail.com

11:04 AM  
Blogger Tocci said...

Hello everyone am Ben from united states, I want to use this grate opportunity to thank Dr Afrid for the good work he has done in my life with his herbs medicine which he introduce to me, I took the herbs and everything work out well am now HIV Negative with the prove of my test result. My friends here on this website if you are facing the same problem try and get in touch with Dr Afrid herbs home via his email address drafridbalhealhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp number:+2349057260738 https//:drafridherbalhome.webs.com thanks once again Dr this man is a God fearing man and truthful

7:16 AM  
Blogger lisa tommy said...

Hello, everyone! I,m here to explore blogs and forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for (Herpes Virus).I was positive to the deadly virus called herpes and i lost hope because i was out casted and rejected even by my closet friends.i searched on-line to know and enquirer about cure for Herpes and i read someone testimony on how he was cured from Herpes so i decided to contact the same herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything.i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will heal me with the natural herbs from God!after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via DHL and it got to me after 3 days!i used the med as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured!its really like a dream but i am so happy!thats the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be saved just like me!and if you need his help, you can email him on nativehealthclinic@gmail.com, Instagram IG: @dremmanuel2 or whatsapp +2348140073965 I,m neme amber and you can get in touch with me via nemeamber@gmail.com..Contact him for help at Herpes virus HIV/AIDS CANCER COPD BRAIN TUMOR All kind of virus and disease

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter

Baby long-tailed macaque in Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Save a Primate!
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]


© 2001-2004 WebRing Inc. - Help - Browse WebRing

The Great Ape WebRing
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]